Work continues on the horizontal stabilizer but lately we've spent a lot more time getting organized than actually building. We are constantly accumulating supplies and finished pieces like the vertical stab need to be safely stored out of the way. Mike and his buddy, Keith, spent an entire day travelling to my hometown to pick up some old shelving so we can have a better place to store parts at the hangar. They also picked up this...
I never expected to be so excited about a tool box, but now we can finally get some stuff off the surface of the workbench. That has made working on the horizontal spar much smoother. The horizontal pieces are so long that they still hang off the ends of the clamped together workbenches so we need all the work space we can get.
Mike finished the prep work on the doubler for the horizontal spar. The doubler is a thick piece of aluminum that provides structural support in the center of the spar. We've been using the squeeze riveter because once you get the gap on the riveter set things go really quickly.
It's hard to see, but the clecos that are remaining in the bottom left picture have masking tape on them, which is our reminder that those holes will stay empty. I'm not sure what those empty holes will eventually be used for, but I would guess that they will be used when we put the whole vertical stabilizer skeleton together. That's the problem when I don't got up to the hangar for a few days - I don't have a chance to ask Mike questions about what we are doing and why. That also explains why I have no explanation for the next piece that we put together.
I have absolutely no idea what that is - other than that there's some sort of bearing in the middle that turns and it's part of the tail section of the plane. I'm sure it's very important and that I'll eventually find out.